Friday, June 9, 2017

June in the deep south

Did you ever watch Good Morning, Vietnam? Do you remember when Robin Williams did the fake weather report from the 'man on the street'...

"Hey, can you tell me what's your name? "My name is Roosevelt E. Roosevelt." Roosevelt, what town are you stationed in? "I'm stationed in Poontang." Well, thank you, Roosevelt. What's the weather like out there? "It's hot! Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it. A little crotch pot cooking." Well, tell me what it feels like. "Fool, it's hot! I told you again! Were you born on the sun? It's damn hot! It's so damn hot, I saw little guys, their orange robes burst into flames. It's that hot! Do you know what I'm talking about?" What do you think it's going to be like tonight? "It's gonna be hot and wet! That's nice if you're with a lady, but ain't no good if you're in the jungle!" Thank you, Roosevelt."

 Well, it's kinda like that in Lower Alabama, LA for short. It's hot and humid and sunny right now. Usually, it's hot and humid and storming. The frog aliens in the pond across the street from my house have been screaming for rescue. It's damned creepy at night. And the bugs... y'all, we've had two incredibly mild winters, which means we have bugs. Lots of bugs... ALL THE BUGS.

So, it's summer in the deep south and I have the air conditioner set at 73 degrees but the dog has to go out and it's hot and humid and you get two feet from the door and your clothes are sticking to your body in a not very nice way. That's what it's like here... I swear he says hollandaise in my shorts... that makes sense, put some hollandaise in my shorts and do some crotch pot cooking. It's hot as crotch outside.

I'm one writing session away from finishing a brand new book.

Holy non sequitur, Batman.

I don't have anything else to do, it's too hot to do much unless you have a pool, we don't. We have a community pool. And one car. Which is at my husband's work. And I'm not walking all the way to the front of the subdivision to go to the pool just to need to go back after the walk home. Did I mention how hard it is to breathe in humid air? Damned hard. The air is about 90% water most days. You can drown in that. Not really... it's great for the skin, though.

So, about this book.

It's MM. Around 60,000 words. Just a fun romance. Set on a cruise ship. For an accidental honeymoon trope... one guy got stood up at the altar by his best friend's sister... best friend goes on cruise with him... sort of Drunk on a Plane and Somewhere on a Beach, inspired... find out they've had feelings for each other... yada yada... It's not erotic. Not by the definition of erotic... there's some sex. I kept it short and sweet most scenes. Just a romance. Only a wee bit of angst. Tropical locals. Bahamas. I watched a bunch of ziplining videos. I love youtube.

So... that's about it. All caught up for now. I should have this finished tonight and off to beta readers. I hope to have it edited and ready to go by mid-July. Tentative release date will be July 11th.

YAY first non-series book in nearly two years.

I have no idea what I'm going to write next. I have several new ideas banging around in my head. We'll see what sticks to the wall.

Cover art coming soon. And I'll keep you posted on that release date.

Hope your summer is off to a great start... or winter if you're in the southern hemisphere.

Mercy

No comments:

Post a Comment